Saturday, February 25, 2006

another disappointing day

Three tournaments today - 150 on stars (why? I don't know. I really don't. The structure sucks and doesn't fit my playing style at all. I think I'm done playing this tournament), the Friday Party Special and a UB WSOP satellite.

150 on stars was pretty bad, I got no service and went out on a coinflip (though I did win one earlier in the tournament). I got up to just under double my stack early at Party, though I made a poor play on a hand where I called a PFR from the SB with AJs. That was probably my main mistake in the hand, I hit the flop reasonably and unsuccessfully tried to take it on the turn. I treaded water for a while till I C/Red in hour 2 with 9T on a KTx flop - the button called all in iwth QQ. I went out on a... yep. AT < 44.

So to the UB WSOP satellite (3 seats). I have good results on UB because I play a very patient game, but I mix it up. That was again the case today. I don't know why, but I am able to maintain patience much longer on UB than on Party, which also requires tremendous amounts of patience. Anyway, I did get a bit of luck that got me some momentum. The player on the button on my big blind had, from really the beginning, potraised when there was one limper. Without fail. I got very few free big blinds unless they were real multiway limpfests. I hadn't had much to fight back with, lots of T6o and 94s and the like. Finally I got A8 and planned a stop and go (I was pretty sure the weak limper would fold - he usually did). The flop came 832 rainbow, I went ahead and pushed it in, and he instacalled with queens. Oops. The 8 on the turn was the first REAL suckout I'd had in a while.

I built my stack up from there (QQ > 99 featured), lost a bunch of it on a coinflip, got it back, then stagnated for a while. At one point I was 23rd of 27. I then got a nice rush of cards and the happy side of the deck - most of them escape me at the moment, but I know a boat beat a straight in there. With 16 left I had moved to 3rd, and leader at my table.

And then they moved me. I was suddenly 4th in the tournament, 4th at my table - the top 6 were all at one table. I went into a modified shell - I was going to work to get a tight image and use it. Pick up a few pots with my image, pick up a few with my cards, but mostly just sit back and wait. It worked, and I came to the final table 4th in chips. The key hand at the final table is one for me to think over for some time. I believe I'm correct here, but I'm not certain. I was fifth in chips at the time (33k), but only 5k back from first. Villain in the hand had 21k and was on the SB.

I raised (150/800/1600) from LP to 4500 with TT. The SB moved in. It was slightly over 16k to me to win about 28k. In a quick guesstimate put his range on 88-AA, AK, AQ, KQs. I put less emphasis on AA and KK though, I think it's more likely that he plays those hands a little cuter. I decided that I would be at around 55k if I won the hand, while still have 12k if I lost. The advantage of being able to sit back with a healthy stack and continue to pick spots was a huge + to win, and I would not be crippled if I lost. I made the call, unfortunately he had JJ and it held. I wonder if my thinking on this hand is flawed.

Anyway, I shortly busted thereafter with AA to 88 - 8 on the flop. If I won the hand I'd have had 21k and a chance at the top 3. Instead I finished in 8th.

It was rough, but I've come to expect these things. I took a chance with the TT hand, and maybe the 88 spiking was just a way of saying "no, not today."

I like the structure at UB much more than at FT, certainly. The bad side is, for multiple seats I believe they give 100 TECs and 2k cash. I believe FT gives the 12k cash. 12kcash > 100 TECs + 2k. But I'll worry about that after I qualify.

Which I'm sure won't be long.

4 Comments:

At 15:23, Blogger Unknown said...

This may sound weird, but... is the UB software more pleasant to play on that Party? Oddly enough, I find sometimes the look & sounds of a particular poker program has an effect on me.

And... what's a TEC?

 
At 02:08, Blogger jason said...

TEC = Tournament Entry Chip worth $100 to enter a tournament on UB. Apparently they'll also substitute the 10k to another major tournament entry, such as a WPT event.

And the software question is addressed in the most recent submission, but I've really never liked Party's software. It has just been unappealing to me for the longest time. I like UB, though. I choose the "Aruba" background which is soothing to me. That's why I experimented with looking for alternate choices for a Party Skin (even before you wrote this, oddly). Even if it helped me maintain my patience in only a very small way, it's worth it.

 
At 02:59, Blogger Unknown said...

Thank you, re the acronym.

I've been surprised by what colours, designs, etc. have distracted me in some way, ever so subtle-ly.

I've never played at Party, but how cool that there are skin options!! (I've not played at UB, either.)

 
At 22:34, Blogger Unknown said...

Matthew, I'm right there with you. PokerStars drives me buggy. Even with the avatars disabled. I don't know what it is, but it just puts me on edge.

I hide avatars at FT, too. Though, it doesn't stop me from setting mine to the shark & clicking 'happy,' when I sit down. ;) I simply love that avatar!!

I might have to check UB out.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home