Monday, February 20, 2006

Sunday night

Full Tilt WSOP satellite was a joke. They usually are, but today the awful play got rewarded against me. I moved to 0 for my last 6 coinflips there.


125k on UB I finished in 64th for 370 bucks. It's something for the day, so it's nice not to go ohfer, but it was frustrating. I was up to 10th just before the end of the second hour. At that point, I went completely card dead. The only reason I was able to last as long as I did is I found good steal situations, and good resteal situations. Then, I wasn't even able to find those, as I moved to a new, much more active table. In the last hour or so my best hands were TT, 77 and AQo. The 77 was folded behind a big stack's EP raise (good fold, someone else pushed, he had AK and an ace flopped. I hate coinflips). The AQ was on the bubble (82 left, I believe, 80 paid) behind an UTG raise. I HATE playing just to cash, but that struck me as an eminently sensible fold. The TT was after the bubble burst and won a hand when a player was blinded all in. I went out pushing A5 for 4.5BB and ran into queens. I can't win coinflips, so there's no way I'm gonna win when dominated.

The key to my success? I took no coinflips. I made a few very big hands and got paid. I found good spots to pick up pots, even big pots, without the best hand. I think I played very well in this tournament, but I just couldn't get the service that I needed to get at the end. I think I do a good job of being able to pick up some pots when I'm not getting the service, and I did a hell of a job of it here, but there came a point where I had to pick up something, and I just couldn't get anything.

Honestly, I'm not sure which is a more annoying feeling. Limping into the money like I did or going out in a blaze of glory like this afternoon. Of course, the tourney at FT trumps them all on the annoy-o-meter.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home