Sunday, May 22, 2005

Playin' Live

So my brother and I ventured to the live tourney mentioned in the post a couple previous here. A fun experience, both of us were successful.

The format today was simple. Top 30 or 10% of all runners today advanced to the finals next Sunday, where everyone would start fresh. Today there were only about 80 runners, so a large number of us would move on (I calculated about 38%!) The blind structure, however, was unfortunate. We started with 3000 in chips, although we had 3 rebuys of 3000 apiece, which nearly everyone took before the end of the rebuy period, myself included. The blinds started at 25/50, then increased every 20 minutes to: 50/100, 100/200, 200/400, 500/1000(!), 1000/2000, 1500/3000, 2000/4000. I imagine 3000/6000 followed, although we did not need to go any further. I quickly realized there would be no time for splashing about, and I only entered hands with legitimate cards. Fortunately for me, my temptations were removed, as I was dealt awful cards.

After limping from the button with KQo on the first deal, I went several orbits without playing again until I picked up AQ and raised to 1000 at 100/200. I then moved in on the A high flop, and got a fold from the only caller. I limped shortly after in the CO with 22 after a couple limpers - when no deuce fell, I was done. I bled away a few chips on the BB on the last hand before the break (after 200/400 level), with A5, calling a bet on the K52 flop, then betting the river after the other player checked the K turn. When he raised all in, I gave up the hand.

Entering break, I had 9500 in chips, which was essentially 2500 less than I started with. And we'd be going to 500/1000. It was clearly all in or fold. On the first hand after the break, I picked up ATo behind a limper who did NOT have the strictest requirements for getting involved. As I stacked my chips in front of me I said "I'm all in." The dealer said "that's a call - you have to say it before you put your chips out there." I was miffed, but accepted it. Everyone else folded, and on the ragged flop, I continued the charade of my monster hand and moved in, and they folded. Two hands later, again behind a limper, I picked up QQ, and announced with excessive emphasis that I was moving in. A shortstack called AI with AJ, and when the board only gave her a jack, I was up to 19000.

From that point on, I played one more hand. My table was your usual brand of poor players - call stations, limpers, etc. I was not dealt any reasonable cards, and I wasn't going to flail about with mediocre holdings with chips at such a premium.

The hand I played was at 2000/4000. I had 7500 in front of me, on the small, the big blind had 7000 in front of him. It was folded to me on the small, and I had A9o. I forced the BB in, who called with 99. I did not hit my ace, and I was down to 500- one yellow chip. I proceeded to think a bit about every move left I had. I wasn't blatant about it, but I took about as much time as I felt I could reasonably get away with consistently. It worked, the bubble burst as I was 2 off the big blind, and I get to come back next Sunday to try to win $25k with the chip and the chair I had left.

I can only hope the blinds are more favorable next Sunday, but I fear they won't be. At least I know the game we'll be playing if that's the case, and I can take full advantage.

My brother will also be there, as he qualified much more comfortably than I. He got up to about 27K with QQ v. JJ and took a pot or two after that, and folded to the entry. So way to go us.

I'll be back next Sunday with an update.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home