Friday, May 13, 2005

Good form

I started off this evening really cold. As I explained in a couple of IMs today, I ran into drawouts, monsters, and numbnuts who actually held hands. My play was certainly not up to par, I was playing a bit weakly and overplaying some pretty mediocre hands in a cold period. It cost me, big time.

But I think a bit of pride snapped my play back into line. I forced myself to really become more aggressive, lay claim to more pots, but be intelligent about it. I decided to stop calling so damn much. Sure, I picked my spots where a call was the right play, but by and large I decided to raise it or fold it. It really worked out well. I built my stacks back up so that I was only down a fraction of what I was at the nadir.

Again, though, this was a case of me not playing at my best. I know it's going to happen variously, but it's disappointing when it does. At least I was able to take some pride and salvage the evening, rather than getting desperate and really losing a lot of money, as I've done in the past. I would actually be up, but I got quite unlucky in a few spots. I was forced to fold aces in a big pot, and got drawn out on a couple times. That's just poker. If I hadn't taken a bit of pride in my hand, I'd probably not have laid down the aces and we wouldn't be posting this right now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home