Saturday, December 31, 2005

Success! Ish!

Finished in 38th of 1305 tonight in the 45k rebuy on stars. I'll take it with how I've been running lately, but it really doesn't do anything to help the bankroll - just the confidence. You've got to final table these things, not final 5 table them.

What's classic about this is that I finished in 38th, despite losing the only 2 coinflips I had and AA v. AQ with the guy largely committed preflop. The last hand was just brutal and symbolizes how things have gone: button raises, I push on the SB with KQ, he thinks and calls getting 2:1 with 44. K on flop, 4 on river.

I considered a stop and go, but discarded it for two reasons. 1) the BB was a card rack who struggled to fold. Not a good combo. 2) I put the button on a wide range of hands, and I felt I had reasonable fold equity. I really didn't want to call out of the SB, and push the T82 flop only for the button to flip up 89.

If that flip goes my way, I'm 12th in chips, with momentum and, I felt, a significant edge over the competition. Oh well. This too shall pass. Eventually.

Two weeks ago I was lamenting coming close in tournaments but not hitting the big payday. Now you may see why: I was running pretty decently then (I really don't think I was running GOOD), and could not take advantage of it. One or two final 3 showings in that group of tournaemnts, and suddenly this awful run I'm on doesn't hurt quite so bad.

Just in case I haven't made it clear yet: Play for the big money, not to money.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home